Now and for the past five years, on the first Friday of every month, a group of industrious and committed volunteers gathers to produce the items needed to make up the twenty Newborn Welcome Bundles that are delivered to the Hospital’s Maternity Department at the end of each month. A bundle costs about $25 to produce and consists of a plastic changing pad (many houses have dirt floors), a blanket, five burping cloths, two rubber pants, five washable cloth diaper inserts, two onesies, and a soft toy. Recently at the request of the Maternity Department, they have added a carrying sling for moms to hold babies, particularly premature ones, close to them for connection and comfort.
If you would like to participate in this worthwhile endeavor, there are many ways to help:
- Come to a Friday morning workshop to cut out fabric, stuff toys, tie ribbons, cut elastic, etc. AND enjoy a potluck lunch with your fellow volunteers.
- Volunteer to sew items at home. If you don’t have a sewing machine, one can be provided.
- Provide fabric for burping cloths, blankets, or toys from fabric you have on hand or you purchase from the sale bins at Ropa Americana.
- Donate funds to cover the cost of the material that must be purchased for the rubber pants, diaper inserts, changing pads, and slings.
- When you visit the US, volunteer to “mule” back special material for the rubber pants that can’t be obtained here in Costa Rica.
- Ask your family and friends to make a donation to help you brighten the lives of children in poverty and support a cause you are passionate about.
To make a secure online donation visit Brighten the Lives of Children www.globalgiving.org/57142. To make a cash donation, give the money to any Board member at Thursday coffee or a mixer. For questions or to help in other ways, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blankets for Babies has been invited to have a table at a fair in the Gabelo Conejo Sport Center on August 4 from 9am to 1pm. Please come and show your support! Directions: https://goo.gl/maps/31adXGTUx2wHE74E7